Certificate Overview - 15 units
The goal of this certificate is to prepare students to work as professional translators able to translate general, specialized and literary texts from English to Spanish and vice-versa. The Certificate is available to all students (including Extended University) at the 300-level or higher. Students must successfully complete the five required courses with a grade of B- or better. Topics to be covered include translation theory, translation techniques and strategies, information literacy, and translation of general, specialized and literary texts. Certificate courses also count towards the major or minor. Courses can be taken in any order with the exception of SPAN 420 and SPAN 450, both of which require SPAN 320 as a prerequisite.
- SPAN 301 Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition I (every semester)
- SPAN 302 Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition II (every semester)
- SPAN 320 Intro to Spanish Translation (every semester)
- SPAN 420 Specialized Spanish Translation (every spring)
- SPAN 450 Intro to Literary Translation (every fall)